Electrical Engineering Department
Counseling Hours: Tuesday & Saturday
09:00 AM to 10:00 AM
Dr M Imran Majid has a PhD in Electronics from University of Surrey, UK, MSc in Space Engineering from Umea University, Sweden and BSc in Electrical Engineering from UET Lahore. He was awarded the Commonwealth Scholarship towards his PhD in Frequency Planning for Clustered Cellular Multiple Access Channel at the prestigious Centre for Communication Systems Research (now 5G Innovation Centre), University of Surrey, UK. After his PhD, Imran consulted and later worked at University of Toronto Canada as Optics Team Lead for two of Canada’s most advanced remote sensing satellites, NEMO-AM and NEMO-HD. He is also currently involved with Ontario Centre of Excellence as Technical Reviewer.
Imran has about 10 years’ experience in industrial consultancy, teaching and mentoring young professionals in high technology sector. He has worked for Telenor, SSBV, Surrey Satellite and various consultancies during the course of his career.
He is Co-founder of UN NPO Space Generation Advisory Council where he coordinated activities in the Asia Pacific region from 1999 to 2008. He represented the Space Generation Forum Declaration during the 3rd UN Global Conference on Space, chaired sessions at 1st Ground Station Network Workshop in Tokyo Japan, UN/ESA Sympoias in Austria (2000-2003). Previously he was selected as a Buraq Space Cadet (1996), actively participated in 9th International Aerospace School Uzbekistan 1997 and pioneered student exchanges at the world’s oldest space port at Baikonur Kazakhstan in 1998.
Imran also helped found the IET on Surrey Campus, UK for students at the University of Surrey, UK, and IET Karachi, mentored IEng candidates and is currently on the Information Communication and Technology Council IEP Advisory Panel based in Toronto Canada.
His research interests are in resource optimization for future wireless systems, engineering goal driven project management and academic industrial partnerships to aid in economic growth. He is currently teaching Electronic Communication Systems, Opto-Electronics for BE and Project Management, Thesis I,2 courses for MS (EM) at IoBM.
|Specifications and Institution||Years|
|Doctorate of Philosophy – Electronic Engineering
University of Surrey – Guildford, UK │Frequency planning for clustered jointly processed cellular MAC.
|Master of Science – Space Engineering
Umeå University – Kiruna, Sweden │MSc dist. in Signal Processing, Sensors & Instrumentation.
|Bachelor of Science – Electrical Engineering
University of Engineering – Pakistan│ First Division (Elect. & Comms.)│ Mobile IP over Ad Hoc Networks.
Summary of Qualifications
- 3 years teaching expertise in software design, analysis,; test of optics payload for 2 remote sensing satellites
- 5 years experience in information theory application for spectrum allocation in next generation wireless networks
- 2 years technical engineering management experience in rollout of GSM/EDGE Networks
- Strategic planning in role as Regional Coordinator, Asia Pacific, SGAC (United Nations NPO)
- Excellent Communicator with 15 years experience in presenting to a varied audience
Professional Experience DurationOntario Centre of Excellence (OCE), Toronto, Canada
Technical Reviewer, VIP I/II, TalentEdge Programs
- Review innovative industry-academic collaboration ($1 m) applications on technical and commercial potential
UTIAS Space Flight Laboratory, Canada
Manager, Optics Subsystems / Integration & Test Engineer
- Managed end to end optical payload design for 2 next generation imaging satellites (NEMO-AM, NEMO-HD) including iris shutters, AR coating and vendor coordination
- Implemented Real time C based Autofocus Algorithm resulting in a sub-minute frame
- Developed MTF plots, SNR budgets, performed optical bench testing for multispectral optics
- Performed Python based Functional Test for S-Band Transmitters in Ambient & Thermal Test Environ EV9 Satellite
- Completed 2 critical design reviews, 2 conference papers and a book chapter
RESEARCH AREAS And EXPERTISE
- Research Areas: Network Information Theory, Radio Resource Management (utility, fairness, NP Hard), Heurestic Search Methods, Genetic Algorithm, Auto focus Algorithm, Link Budget, Dynamic Spectrum Management, Propagation Modelling, MTF Chain Analysis
- Key Expertise: Optimisation, TCP/IP, IPv4, NAT, MAC, PHY Protocols, UMTS/LTE Simulator development, Mathematical modelling, Proposal Writing, evaluation, Teaching/Seminar at postgraduate, professional level
- Software: Matlab, Ada, C, Latex, Visio, Advanced Excel, WordPress (publishing)
- Key Courses (postgrad.): Project Management, Simulation & Modelling, Applied Engineering Analysis, Information Theory.
Wireless communication systems has changed the way we communicate, live, interact and think. The growth of wireless communication in the last 60 years has been motivated by increasing need for increasing bandwidth and provision of multiple services as well as co existence with multiple class of services.
Due to the scarcity of spectrum resources, there is a dire need to study the effect of spectrum sharing. Due to the energy draining nature of wireless networks, different classes of users can affect the performance of the whole wireless network. In order to increase efficiency, It is hence important to classify resources according to the quality of service and different architectures which increase efficiency.
I study how to design effective mathematical models to simulate link between users and terminals for wireless systems using various tools. I am particularly interested in radio resource allocation for decentralized cellular networks.
Here, I previously adapted a common heurestic using the concept of natural selection particulalry mutation and crossover and use wireless resources modelling. Consequently, my cross disciplinary interest connects engineering, applied mathematics, economic parameterization and computational biology.
- M.Majid, “Analysis of Resource allocation for Multiple UAV-aided Clustered Jointly Processed Cellular MAC”, DISP 19 Conference, University of Oxford, UK, April 2019.
- M.Majid, “Cost Effective portable energy scavenger design using sewage water stream flow system: implication for developing economies”, Energy Forum 2019, May 13, 2019., University of Warwick, UK.
- N. S. Ibrahim, M. Majid, S. C. O. Grocott, R. E. Zee, “NEMO-AM: High Fidelity Autonomous Nanosatellite for Earth Observation and Aerosol Monitoring,” Ch. 40, Opt. Payload for Space Missions, John Wiley & Sons Ltd. Dec 2015.
- S. C. O. Grocott, N. S. Ibrahim, D. Diaconu, M. Dwyer, J. Elliott, D. Kekez, M. Majid, F. Pranajaya, M. Stan, R. E. Zee, “NEMO-AM: High Fidelity Autonomous Nanosatellite for Earth Observation and Aerosol Monitoring,” Proceedings of the 4S (Small Satellites Systems and Services) Symposium, Port Petro, Majorca Island, Spain, May 26-30, 2014.
- ‘Frequency planning for clustered jointly processed cellular MAC’, M.Majid, M.Imran, R. Hoshyar, Institution of Engineering & Technology Communications Journal, 2013.
- ‘Cell based Fair Resource Allocation in Fixed Clustered Cellular Systems using a Genetic Algorithm’, M.Majid, M.Imran, R.Hoshyar, 21st IEEE Personal Indoor Mobile Radio Conference, 26-29 September 2010, Istanbul, Turkey, 2010.
- ‘Optimization of bin based Clustered Cellular System Using a Genetic Algorithm’, M.Majid, M.Imran, R. Hoshyar, 6th Int’l Wireless Communication & Mobile Computing Conference, 2010.
- ‘Uplink Capacity analysis of BIN Based Clustered Cellular System Using a Genetic Algorithm’, Internal Report, M.Majid, Centre for Communication Systems Research, April 2009.
- ‘Analysing Uplink Capacity of Partially Overlapping Channel Based WLANS Using a Hyper-Receiver’, M.Majid, M.Imran, R. Hoshyar, Proc. 5th IEEE International Symposium on Wireless Comm. Systems, Reykjavik, Iceland, October 2008.
- Analysis of information theoretic capacity for future wireless cities, M.Majid, MPhil to PhD Transfer Report, University of Surrey, Guildford, UK, October 2007.
- Quantifying Urban Karachi’s Air Quality Effect On Human Health And Policy Recommendations Journal name : Pakistan Journal of Engineering & Technology, 2018 Second Edition.
- Using L2TP Protocol in Cloud Infrastructure with IoT for Secure and Robust Communication Journal name : New Horizons
- M.Majid, F. Siddique, and S. Hussain, “HDM and e-home: Smartwatch based Cardiovascular Disease Detection and Security”, SSURJET-2019-09-01-64 (submitted reviews)
- Paper #1570452024 (“Energy Aware Centralized Acoustic Network for Indus River Blind Dolphin Conservation”) 2018 IEEE 29th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC): IEEE PIMRC 2018 to be held in Bologna, Italy September 9-12, 2018. Proceedings of the 2018 IEEE 29th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC 2018)
- Khan and I. Majid, “Anti-shunt theft energy meter terminal block,” 2017 IEEE 4th International Conference on Smart Instrumentation, Measurement and Application (ICSIMA), Putrajaya, 2017, pp. 1-6
- Paper title: QUANTIFYING VEHICLE EMISSION AIR QUALITY EFFECT ON HUMAN HEALTH AND POLICY RECOMMENDATIONS Conference title : International Conference on Biodiversity, Ecosystem and Climate Change Venue : University of Karachi Date : September, 2017
- Invited speaker: Energy Efficiency within Connected Communities using 5G Technology Conference : CSC Connect 2017Venue : Royal Legions, London, UK Date : 12th October 2017.
- M.Majid, Y. Chen, O. Mahfooz, W.Ahmed, “UAV-aided Smart
Environmental Monitoring”, in Employing Recent Technologies for Improved Digital Governance
- M.Majid, T. Aslam, A. Hashmi, D. Subzwari,B.Siddiqui, “Tactile Internet and the Remote Surgeon”, in Employing Recent Technologies for Improved Digital Governance
- Review of Construction of Energy-efficient Construction Sector & Green Building Design In Pakistan.
- Vehicular Emission Effect on human health in Karachi urban and policy recommendations.
English, Urdu, French (basic).
Invited Reviewer: ISIEA 2014, ISCAIE 2014, ISWTA 2013, APACE 2012.
Project Management Principles, PMI accredited course (2016).
IEEE Risk Management Course (2016).
Understanding Financial Statements– University of Toronto Executive course (2015).
Agilent / Gap Wireless Seminars on Advanced RF Communication technologies, , Toronto, Canada (2012-2014).
Advanced Matlab and Simulink Skills, Maple for Engineers, University of Surrey, UK (2010).
Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (2011-pr), PEC (lifetime).
Member, Information & Communication Technology Council IEP Advisory Committee (2012-pr).
TPC Member: 2015 IEEE GlobalSIP, CROWNCOM 2015, ISIEA 2014.