Media Studies Department
Dr Erum Hafeez is currently working as an Associate Professor in the Media Studies Department at the Institute of Business Management (IoBM) Karachi, Pakistan. She holds a PhD in Mass Communication with specialization in Social and Cultural Dynamics of Mass Media from the University of Karachi. Dr Hafeez has been associated with the leading educational institutions and media houses in Pakistan for last two decades. She headed the Communications and Public Affairs Department at the Institute of Business Administration (IBA) Karachi from 2008 to 2014. Besides, she has been associated with various leading universities, including IBA Karachi, Szabist, Hamdard, Bahria, Greenwich and University of Karachi, as a research faculty. She has also worked in the Dawn Group of Newspapers and MNJ Communications as an editor and concept writer respectively, in the beginning of her career. Dr Hafeez has been a regular contributor to leading newspapers, magazines and academic journals, sharing her work as feature writer and researcher for almost 20 years. Further, she has presented her research both at the national and international forums, conferences and seminars, and received recognition for her academic and professional excellence. Currently, she is serving as the HEC registered supervisor and an active member of the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR), an eminent professional media research organization with 2000+ members from across the world. Besides, she is also working as a reviewer to various distinguished research journals, both national and international.
|2007-2012||PhD in Mass Communication||University of Karachi|
|2006||M.Phil. in Mass Communication||University of Karachi|
|1997||M.A. in Mass Communication||University of Karachi|
|1996||B. A. Honors in Mass Communication||University of Karachi|
|Jan 2018 – up-to date||Associate Professor in the Media Studies Department||INSTITUTE OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT (IoBM) KARACHI|
|August 2014 – Dec 2017||Assistant Professor in the Media Studies Department||INSTITUTE OF BUSINESS MANAGEMENT (IoBM) KARACHI|
|Jan 2012 – July 2014||Faculty Media Studies (Social Sciences Department)||INSTITUTE OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (IBA) KARACHI|
|Feb 2008 – March 2014||Manager Communications and Public Affairs||INSTITUTE OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (IBA) KARACHI|
|Jan 2005 – Jan 2008||Lecturer||UNIVERSITY OF KARACHI|
|August 2004 – Dec. 2004||Lecturer (Visiting faculty)||SZABIST UNIVERSITY|
|November 2002 – July 2004||Language Coordinator and Faculty||The City School System O’ and A’ Levels|
|July 2002 – Oct. 2002||Lecturer (Visiting faculty)||HAMDARD UNIVERSITY, CITY CAMPUS|
|June 1998 – November 1998||Concept and Copy Writer||MNJ COMMUNICATIONS Pvt. Ltd.|
|July 1997 – May 1998||Sub Editor||STAR WEEKEND, HERALD PUBLICATIONS LTD.|
- Freelancing for mainstream media (leading newspapers, magazines, blogs and websites) including Dawn, Express, Women’s Own, Jang and HumSub for last two decades. Contributing through her writings and research to highlight the burning socio-cultural, educational and youth issues through various platforms
- Leading Capstone Research Project for Express TV Channel
- Assisting Be the One Campaign for Facebook in Fall 2017 as a co-advisor
- New Media and Communication Trends
- Effect Studies in context of Traditional and New Media
- Cyber Crimes and Harassment on Social Media
- Challenges and Issues of Media in the 21st Century
- Fake news and Misinformation
- Emerging Trends in News and Social Media and its effects on Mental Health of Viewers and Media Professionals
- Models of Media Education and Role of Media Schools/Universities in the 21st century
- Exploring Extremism amongst the Youth
- Media Psychology
- Media, Culture and Society Trio
- Media Convergence in the Digital age
- The Pakistani Youth Bulge—A Demographic Dividend or Ticking Time Bomb, International Conference for Experiential Learning (ICEL) Proceedings, IoBM Karachi. Also in process of review for Pakistan Business Review, IoBM Research Journal, October 2017
- Coverage of Crimes and Violence in Television News and its effects on the Mental Health of Viewers in Pakistan. Pakistan Business Review. Institute of Business Management, Karachi, October 2017
- Review (Meta analysis) of Research Studies conducted on the Depiction and Effects of Violence on Silver Screen in the World. IBA Business Review, July-December 2016, 11(2), 85-92.
- Metaanalysis of research studies related to the effects of Televised-Violence on Society. Journal of Social Sciences, University of Karachi, Jan-June 2016, 55(1), 73-84.
- Lollywood-Pakistani Cinema through a transitional lens. Journal of Independent Studies and Research, Jan-June 2015, 3(1), 81-91.
- Growth of Higher Education Institutions on Social Media in Pakistan published in the Aurora Magazine, Jan-Feb 2014
- Growth of Business Schools on Social Media-A Comparative Analysis with focus on IBA Karachi (Case Study). IBA Business Review, July-Dec 2014, 9(2), 158-175.
- Cyber Harassment and its Implications on Youth in Pakistan. New Horizons, July 2014, 8(2), 29-48.
- Facebook Usage Pattern in Pakistani Youth and its Socio-psychological Implications. Jounal of Mass Communication, July-Dec 2013, 9, 43-67.
- Motion Pictures as an agent of Socialization. Business Review, July-Dec 2012, 7(2), 23-50.
- Growth of Violent Crimes in Reported News and Pakistani Society (1970-2000s). Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, July-Dec 2011, 50(II), 43-60.
- Effects of Movies on increasing violence in Pakistan. Iblaghi Tehqeeq, 2010, 3, 1-14.
Around 300 articles in mainstream newspapers, magazines and websites including Dawn, The News, Jang, Express, Women’s Own & Star Weekend on various educational, social and cultural issues
- What makes the Best Media School? The State and Relevance of Media Education in Karachi (Pakistan), Fourth ELLTA-AIT Conference Proceedings. Also in process of review for an International Journal, July 2017
- Psychological Impact of News Coverage related to Terrorisn-An Insight from Pakistan. Amplifier Magazine of APA Division 46. (2015, Fall/Winter)
- Cinematic Violence and Society-Bollywood in Pakistan. Online Conference Proceedings of the Second Annual Film and Media Conference, 2013. London: University of London.
- Social Transformation and Role of Social Media; Understanding Direction of Youth’s Transformation; Insights from Pakistan, published in the Conference Proceedings of International Exploring Leadership & Learning Theories for Asia (ELLTA), Malaysia, Dec. 2012
- Attended Interdisciplinary Social Sciences International Conference organized by the Faculty of Arts, University of Karachi & Higher Education Commission in September 2007
- Presented research article “Growth of Violent Crimes in Reported News and Pakistani Society” in Social Intervention Conference, University of Karachi, March 2012
- Research article “Bollywood vs. Lollywood; Past, Present and Future of Film industry in Pakistani Market” presented in the International Marketing Conference at the IBA Karachi in May 2012
- Research Article “Cinematic Violence & Society__ Bollywood in Pakistan” presented at the Second Annual Film & Media Conference, 2012 at the University of London,June 22-24, 2012 & printed in the Conference Journal/proceedings, June 2013
- Research article “Social Transformation and Role of Social Media; Understanding Direction of Youth’s Transformation; Insights from Pakistan, presented in the Exploring Leadership & Learning Theories for Asia (ELLTA) Conference, Malaysia,2012
RESEARCH CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS (2012-2017)
- Presented research article “Growth of Violent Crimes in Reported News and Pakistani Society” in International Social Intervention Conference, University of Karachi, March 2012
- Bollywood vs. Lollywood; Past, Present and Future of Film industry in Pakistani Market” presented in the International Marketing Conference at IBA Karachi in May 2012
- Represented IoBM at the First Annual Habib University International Conference on Postcolonial Higher Education, Karachi October 2013
- Presented research “Facebook usage patterns in Pakistani Youth and its implications on Education and Research” in the International Conference on Social Sciences Research held at the University of Karachi on Jan. 23-24, 2014
- Presented research paper “Growth of Higher Educational Institutions on Social Media at the National Media Conference” held by the Sindh Madrasatul Islam University on Feb 6. 2014
- Represented IBA at the International Women Leaders’ Summit 2014 held on Feb 11, 2014 in Karachi
- Presented Growth of IBA and other Business Schools on Social Media in Pakistan, a comparative study at the International Conference on Marketing, May 3-4, 2014
- Attended the International Conference on Postcolonial Higher Education held by the Habib University Karachi on Oct 25, 2014
- Presented “Face book Usage pattern and its Socio-psychological Implications on youth in Pakistan at the International Conference on the Challenges of Transition in Higher Education, University of Karachi, Dec. 3-4, 2014
- Invited as a panelist in Subhe9 at the PTV News on Jan 12, 2015 to talk about the Research Trends in Pakistan
- Presented a research article in the International Conference on Women in Development IoBM Karachi on November 10, 2015
- Participated in the Intercity Video-Conference on the theme “Enabling Environment for Free & Responsible Media”, arranged by the IoBM Media Dept. as a part of the USAID’s Citizens’ Voice Project January 2015
- Represented IoBM at the international media conference organized by PFUJ on May 1, 2015
- Organized and attended the launch of Multidisciplinary Research Seminar Series (MRSS) at IoBM, April 29, 2015
- Participated as a panelist in the IoBM student Town hall Meeting for Experiential Learning in December 2015
- Organized training workshop about Online Harassment in collaboration with the Hamara Internet for IoBM Media Students
- Presented a research article on the Role of News Media in creating perception of the world at the International Conference on Experiential Learning, April 2016
- Presented research paper Role of Media in Indo-Pak Relations in the international conference on social sciences organized by the HEC and Must at Islamabad on Oct 26-27, 2016
- Attended National Media Conference at the Center for Excellence in Journalism at IBA Karachi on April 20-21, 2017
- Organized Media Track as the Track Director on the theme of the Challenges and threats faced by journalists and media organizations in Pakistan and the world today in the International Conference for Experiential Learning, Oct 2017 at IoBM
- Cinematic Violence & Society__ Bollywood in Pakistan” presented in the International Second Annual Film & Media Conference, 2012 at the University of London, June 22-24, 2012
- Social Transformation and Role of Social Media; Understanding Direction of Youth’s Transformation; Insights from Pakistan, presented in the International Exploring Leadership & Learning Theories for Asia (ELLTA) Conference, Malaysia, Dec. 2012
- What makes the Best Media School? The Status and Relevance of Media Education in Karachi (Pakistan) presented in the 4th ELLTA Conference organized in Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand, July 25-27, 2017
- The Pakistani Youth Bulge—A Demographic Dividend or Ticking Time Bomb, presented in the Second International Conference on Experiential Learning (ICEL), IoBM, Karachi October 21-22, 2017
- International Association for Media and COmmunication Research (IAMCR)
- Multidisciplinary Research Seminar Series (MRSS)
- Bolo Bhi Karachi
- Mera Karachi
- IBA and KU Alumni and Professional Club
- IBA Center for Excellence in Journalism (CEJ)