Health & Hospital Management Department
Dr. Abdur Rahman Aleemi is Assistant Professor and Research Consultant to the MHM Research Cell (MRC) at the department of Health & Hospital Management at the Institute of Business Management (IoBM), Karachi. He holds a PhD in Business Management from IoBM, and M.Phil. from IQRA University and MBA from Virtual University of Pakistan in Finance. His main research interests fall in the areas of Financial Economics, Corporate Finance, Equity Pricing, Islamic Banking & Finance, Banking Regulations, Supervision and Stability. He is also a lead researcher in the areas of banks’ Charter Value, Market Power, Franchise Value, Market Micro Structures and Market Discipline.
Dr. Aleemi possesses more than ten years of diverse experience of industry and academia. He has served both in academia and industry at different positions for various projects and responsibilities. He is an experienced researcher and consultant in the field of Islamic and Conventional Finance, Economics, Management, Operations and Health Management. He has published several research papers in HEC recognized peer reviewed journals and has also presented his research work in several national and international conferences. Last but not the least, he is also leading Capstone Projects.
- 2019, Ph.D, Business Management, Institute of Business Management.
- 2014, M.Phil.(Finance), IQRA University Karachi.
- 2011, MBA(Finance), Virtual University of Pakistan.
- 2006, B.Sc.(Bio and Chemistry), University of Malakand.
- 2008, DIT, BTE-Peshawar.
- August – 2016 till Date, Assistant Professor & Consultant MRC, CBM, Institute of Business Management.
- June – 2014 till April – 2016, Assistant Professor, Ilma University (Formerly: Institute of Business & Technology-Karachi)
- Spring – 2015 till Summer – 2016, Visiting Faculty, IQRA University, Main Campus Karachi.
- Spring -2015 till Summer -2016, Visiting Faculty, KASBIT, Main Campus Karachi.
- Fall -2015, Visiting Faculty, Federal Urdu University of Arts, Science & Technology.
- May-2010 – May-2014, Manager Finance and Operations, Sadaf Enterprises, Karachi.
- Projects and Industry Engagements
- A nationwide survey on Sales Effectiveness in Pharmaceutical Industry of Pakistan. (2019)
- Occupational Allergies and Respiratory Health Problems in Spice Mill Workers.
- Pre and post nutrition care delivery in the mechanically ventilated patients of a tertiary care hospital with the implementation of feeding algorithm
- Knowledge Attitude and Oral Hygiene Practices among Street children enrolled by Street-To-School Organization in Gharib Abad Karachi.
- Business Analysis of Wateen Telecom Ltd. (A Root Cause Analysis)
- The Philosophical Dilemma of Permanence and Change (The Quest for Being and Becoming)
- TeachingAdvanced Research Methods, Quantitative Analysis, Multivariate Analysis, Economic Modelling, Corporate Finance, Analysis of Financial Statements, Islamic Banking & Finance, Banking Regulations.Research InterestsFinancial Economics, Corporate Finance, Equity Pricing, Islamic Banking & Finance, Banking Regulations and Franchise Value, Behavioral Finance, Market Micro Structures, Market Power, Market Discipline Health Economics and Advance Quantitative Modelling.
- Transformed the course Quantitative Analysis (Bio-Statistics) to be based entirely on SPSS tutorials and practical demonstration which enhanced the students’ analytical, inferential and data management abilities.
- Introduced EndNote/Zotero in Research & Survey Methodology to enhance the students’ understanding and management of their bibliographic content which will positively influence the scholarly outlook and quality of their research work.
- Introduced and emphasized on full-fledged (dummy) thesis as class projects to make sure the students are familiar with academic research and are ready for their final thesis.
Pedagogical Innovations (Fall-2019)
- Experiential Learning projects have been adopted in Advanced Topics in Finance and Advanced Corporate Finance
- Case Study method have been applied in Quantitative Analysis, Advanced Corporate Finance and Advanced Topics in Finance
- The QA in particular is now entirely based on demonstration of Use Cases and real life scenarios on SPSS (Exam is also now Lab based)
- The Advanced Topics in Finance is revamped and is now based on real case solutions and demonstration on Eviews and Stata
- Initiated the use of Stata for Use Cases in Advanced Topics in Finance for the first time (The exam is also now Lab based)
|5-8, May, 2018||Islamic Finance for Academicians||IBA-CIEF|
|2018||SSK Faculty Excellence Program||EMEC, by IoBM|
|2018||Introduction to Systematic Reviews||EMEC, by IoBM|
|2017||Scaling Up Master class||Marriot, by Terrabiz|
|28 Dec, 2019||Current Research Trends in Finance||LUMS|
- The Fallacy of Conventional Benchmarks in Islamic Banking and Finance: Defining, Defending and Discussing with Evidence from Archival Data. In: Qadri, H. M. U. D., & Bhatti, M. I. (Eds.). (2019). The Growth of Islamic Finance and Banking: Innovation, Governance and Risk Mitigation. Routledge (2019). https://www.taylorfrancis.com/books/e/9780429262432/chapters/10.4324/9780429262432-8
- Issuance of Musawwamah Based Card by Islamic Banks as an Alternative to Credit Card: Opportunities, Challenges and Prospective Solutions. Routledge (2020) (In Press)
- Aleemi, A., Khalique, H., Faisail, A. (2018). Challenges and Patterns of Seeking Primary Healthcare in Slums of Karachi: A Disaster Lurking in Urban Shadows. Asia Pacific Journal of Public Health (Impact Factor: 1.138) (PRJ) (AAS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/324906889_Challenges_and_Patterns_of_Seeking_Primary_Health_Care_in_Slums_of_Karachi_A_Disaster_Lurking_in_Urban_Shadows
- Aleemi, A., Uddin, I., Kashif, M. (2019). Competition and Risk Taking Behavior of Banks: New Evidence from Market Power and Capital Requirements. Pakistan Business Review, 21(3). (PRJ) (BDS) https://pbr.iobm.edu.pk/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2.pdf
- Iqbal, A., Aleemi, A., Zeeshan, M., Tariq, M. (2019). Funds Induction, Flows and Family Growth: The Dynamics of Asset Management Companies. Pakistan Business Review, 21(1). (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747775_FUNDS_INDUCTION_FLOWS_AND_FAMILY_GROWTH_THE_DYNAMICS_OF_ASSET_MANAGEMENT_COMPANIES
- Qureshi, A., Aleemi, A. (2019). Authentic Leadership and Turnover Intention: Mediating Role of Work Engagement and Job Satisfaction in the Healthcare Sector of Pakistan. Abaysn Journal of Social Sciences, 10(1). (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/331009976_Authentic_Leadership_and_Turnover_Intention_Mediating_role_of_Work_Engagement_and_Job_Satisfaction_in_the_Healthcare_Sector_of_Pakistan
- Perveen, K., Hasan, Y., Aleemi, A. (2018). Gloosophobia: The Fear of Public Speaking in Female and Male Students of University of Karachi. Pakistan Journal of Gender Studies, Vol 16. (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747894_Glossophobia_The_Fear_Of_Public_Speaking_In_Female_And_Male_Students_Of_University_Of_Karachi
- Qurseshi, M, A., Aleemi, A., Hyder, S, I. (2019). Servant Leadership: A Taxonomic Approach Towards Systematic Literature Review. IBT-Journal of Business Studies,15(1). (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335389627_Servant_Leadership_A_Taxonomic_Approach_towards_Systematic_Literature_Review
- Aleemi, A., & Azam, M. (2017). The Integration among Financial Markets of Pakistan: New Extensions and Evidence from Bounds Testing and TYDL Granger Non-Causality Approach. Abasyn Journal of Social Sciences, 10(1). (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747953_The_Integration_among_Financial_Markets_of_Pakistan_New_Extensions_and_Evidence_from_Bounds_Testing_and_TYDL_Granger_Non-Causality_Approach?_sg=1FOv_DWOMLBlVFt8Z7CNoJM8HOluS7sK8Q_YFW7hSt2JPaPsmVeLDxYSNR747HSuG4YGQjjwzrOJ9s7uGl_BTJ8Y0Hyg4eVWDgIVr69x.EY_5CLDUBF7njt_wdOgjyrG6_8h1OiViRdpWRk_Ai03RMFkKrNs9SugwHy5Ezky6K8R4_crAiNwl2TfyMLw8SA
- Qureshi. M., Aleemi, A., Rathore, J.H. (2018) Authentic Leadership and Job Satisfaction: Measuring the Mediating Role of Affective Organizational Commitment in Healthcare sector of Pakistan. Journal of Independent Studies and Research (JISR-MSSE), Vol 16(1). (2018). (Cases) (PRJ) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327690631_Authentic_Leadership_and_Job_Satisfaction_Measuring_the_Mediating_Role_of_Affective_Organizationl_Commitment_in_Healthcare_Sector_of_Pakistan
- Ahmed, U, Aleemi, A, Wasim, M, Saeed, F. (2017). The Determinants of Customer Preference towards Microfinance Services: A Consumer Perspective from Pakistan. IBT-Journal of Business Studies, 13(1). (PRJ) (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747769_THE_DETERMINANTS_OF_CUSTOMER_PREFERENCES_TOWARDS_MICROFINANCE_SERVICES_A_CONSUMER_PERSPECTIVE_FROM_PAKISTAN
- Aleemi, A., Tariq, M., & Ahmed, S. (2016). The Role of Gold Prices, Exchange Rate and Interest Rate on the Continuity of Inflation in Pakistan. Pakistan Business Review, 18(1), 37-54. (PRJ (BDS) https://www.researchgate.net/publication/323747888_THE_ROLE_OF_GOLD_PRICES_EXCHANGE_RATE_AND_INTEREST_RAT E_ON_THE_CONTINUITY_OF_INFLATION_IN_PAKISTAN
Reviewer & Editorship